Welcome to my series of pixels!
(rock) Music is a passion for me. I'm fascinated with music and listen to it every day. I listen to different genres once in a while, but I concentrate on the few that stand out. For me, the few genres that go way beyond "normal" music is thrash, some death and NWOBHM. Those three stand out, thrash being on top for it's usual pleasing riffs, explosive soloing and vocals that don't annoy me as much as Death Metal. I also like some unusual music such as progressive metal (Watchtower, Atheist). These are what I look for in a song:
1) Catchy riffs (There are too many generic, watered down, or annoying riffs! Usually nothing can save a song with boring riffs in my opinion)
2) Guitar Solo! An interesting one, that is. (I hate boring guitar solos that imitate the main riff or are just a few notes. For me, the guitar solo is usually a climax (an eargasm) or a pick-up in action. It must be memorable and is one of the most important parts in a song.
3) Good singing (I prefer singers with appealing voices. Bobby Blitz (Overkill) is a great thrash singer, for example. I also like Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) and Chuck Billy (Testament). The only singing I like mostly either Metal-oriented or Southern Rock, NEVER pop rock or emo.
4) Songs that aren't stretched for too long. (Unless the song is progressive, I don't want to hear the same two riffs for 3 minutes, then a solo, then the same riffs for 3 more minutes. I like it when a song is broken into different parts but melts together like Deliver Us To Evil by Exodus.)
5) NO Dominating singing! (A lot of mainstream music does this. I usually hate music with the vocalist being the most important thing in the song. Singers can sing the lyrics, compliment the instruments with the sound of their voice and add some catchy tone. No one can sing better than an electric guitar, beat louder than a drum or snarl more sinister than a bass.)
6) Fast pace! If it isn't fast, it better be interesting