PANDORA MEDIA, INC.
(EFFECTIVE AS OF December 17, 2013)
Pandora operates a personalized Internet radio service available through the web: www.pandora.com, mobile phones, tablets, automobiles, and other consumer electronic devices (the "Pandora Service or "Service"). As we use it in this policy, "Pandora" refers to Pandora Media, Inc. and its subsidiaries. This policy applies to all Pandora-authorized operations of the Service in the United States, New Zealand, Australia, and their respective territories (the "Authorized Territories"). We may refer to Pandora as "we", "us", or "our". We may refer to you as "listener", "you", or "your". The purpose of this policy is to inform you about the information we collect, how we use and share that information, and the ways in which you can control how we use and share that information.
Information We Receive or Collect
Information We Receive or Collect From You Directly
Registration Data: When you register, we ask you to provide certain information, which includes your email address, birth year, gender, and zip code (the "Registration Data"), as well as a password for your listener account.
Payment Information: If you choose to subscribe to fee-based portions of the Service, purchase a subscription to the Service as a gift, or purchase add-on products or services, you will also be asked to provide (at a minimum) your name and credit card information ("Payment Information").
Information You Choose to Provide to Pandora: You have the ability to provide a variety of information during your interactions with the us and the Pandora Service, such as emails you may send us, polls or surveys you choose to participate in, ads you respond to, and emails or newsletters that you sign up to receive. Pandora receives data from you whenever you provide us with any of this type of information.
Listening Activity: When you use the Service, we keep track of your listening activity, which may include the number and title of songs you have listened to, the songs that you like (thumb up) or dislike (thumb down), the stations you create or listen to, the number of songs you skip, and how long you listen to a station.
Community Posting: You have the ability to post comments and information in community networking features available on or accessible through the Service, such as your public profile, artist and album forums, our blog, and our social networking pages. Unless you affirmatively delete the content you post, Pandora collects this content and stores it on our servers.
Technical Information: As is true of many websites and mobile and tablet applications, Pandora may collect certain non-personally identifiable technical information through the use of log files and servers. Web and application servers create log files automatically as part of their setup and configuration. Information in a log file may include IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, date/time stamps, MAC address, file requested, and other usage information and statistics.
Information We Receive or Collect From Devices You Use To Access The Service
Device Information: If you access and listen to the Service from a computer, automobile, mobile phone, tablet, automobile, or other consumer electronic device, we may collect information about those devices. For example, our servers receive and record information about your computer and browser, including your Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, and other software or hardware information. If you access the Service from a mobile phone, tablet, automobile, or other consumer electronic device, we may collect information such as device type, operating system version and type, unique identifiers (such as Android ID, VIN, MAC address, and IDFA), and carrier or other transactional information for that device.
Location Information: Apart from your zip code, we currently do not ask you for, nor do we access or track, any real-time location-based information from your mobile phone, tablet, automobile, or other consumer electronics device. If at some point we enable GPS or near-real location tracking technology, you will be asked to consent to allow such collection and use.
Information We Receive or Collect From Third Parties
We may receive or collect information about you from third parties and store it on our servers with other information we may have already received or collected from you. These third parties include:
- Service partners and advertisers that make features or content available through the Service;
- Marketing companies and data providers that create professional marketing lists or sell other marketing data;
- Third party social media websites, applications or services that you have registered to use, when we allow those websites, applications, or services to interact through the Service to provide personalized services to you. In some cases, those websites, applications, or services may automatically provide us with information about you to facilitate personalization unless you use the controls available on those websites, applications, or services to opt-out of such sharing; and
- People who store or post information about you on the community features of the Pandora Service, or by your enabling connectivity with another website, application, or service where friends or other listeners store such information. For instance, your friends may store information about you in places such as their friend lists, address books, or photos on our Service or other websites, applications, or services such as social media applications with which the Pandora Service interacts.
Information Collection Technologies
We use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your browser's "help" documentation. If you do not accept first party cookies you may still use our Service, but your ability to use some areas of our website, and the ability to stay logged in will be limited.
Beacons and tracking pixels: Pandora, its third party advertising partners, and tracking-utility partners employ a technology known as "beacons" or "tracking pixels" (each, a "Beacon"). A Beacon is a small one-pixel-by-one-pixel clear image that is embedded in HTML content, and is about the size of a period at the end of a sentence. When HTML content containing a Beacon is rendered, the Beacon transmits anonymous, non-personally identifiable information to a server, such as a numeric count, unique identifier, or IP address. Pandora and its advertising partners use Beacons to help us better manage content on our Service. For example, we may place a Beacon in HTML-based emails to let us know which emails recipients have opened, or on a webpage to count the number of unique visitors to that page. The use of a Beacon allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and of our marketing campaigns.
How We Use The Information We Receive or Collect
In General: In general, Pandora may use your Registration Data and other non-personally identifiable information we receive or collect for the following purposes:
- To customize and personalize the advertising and other content we deliver to you.
- To analyze Service usage and enhance the listener experience on our Service. We use tracking information to determine how well each page and station performs overall, based on aggregate listener demographics and traffic patterns to those pages and stations. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
- To fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as distributing electronic newsletters and enabling you to participate in and renew paid services, surveys, and public forums.
- To send you information that you agreed to receive.
- To alert you to the latest developments and features on our Service.
- To invite you to participate in events or special promotions related to artists or products we think you may like or in which you may be interested.
- To pay artists and copyright owners for tracks you hear, by reporting listening information to copyright licensing agencies. These reports contain aggregated data only, and do not include any personally identifiable information.
Email: With regards to email, we do not sell or give your email address to other companies for their own marketing purposes without your permission. However, we may use your email address or other Registration Data to provide you with technical support, send you notices about the Service or other promotional offers you have elected to receive, and to serve you with ads that are more relevant to your interests. We may occasionally work with data partners and advertising platforms to help increase the relevancy of ads we provide to our listeners. In doing so, we may provide such companies with information representing an encrypted or hashed value derived from information you have provided to us, such as your email address.
How We Share Information We Receive or Collect With Others
How Your Information Is Shared: Pandora may share information we receive or collect in a variety of ways, such as:
- When you give Pandora permission through an affirmative election (clicking "yes" in response to a message such as "share my email with this advertiser").
- When you participate in community and social networking features on the Pandora Service, such as forums, station sharing, listener opinions and reviews, or other forms of communication and interaction which you elect to make public or share on public profiles or in other public forums.
- If we hire or partner with third parties to provide specialized services on our behalf, such as credit card processors, customer support, bulk email processors who send out emails on our behalf, or parties who assist us with sweepstakes management and prize fulfillment. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to Pandora. They are not authorized to use your personal information for their own purposes.
- Information about the artists, tracks, and stations you have created or listened to via the Service, or that are associated with your account, if you have elected to share publicly. If your Pandora profile is marked as private, your stations may appear in a search, but your profile will not be linked to that station; however, if someone already knows and enters your entire email address into our search system, they will be able to see a list of all the stations created under that email address.
- If you elect to take advantage of certain features or services provided jointly by Pandora and third parties, we may share your registration information with those third parties for account authentication and management, and to enable the Service on their platforms. For example, when you use service partners like our Pandora for Business partner, DMX, you grant us permission to pass your registration information to DMX in order to provide the Pandora Service. As another example, when you share information through integrated social networking platforms, such as Facebook, you are agreeing to allow the Pandora service to communicate or "talk" with the other service in order to make the social features available for your use. These service partners may have their own data collection, use, and sharing practices that may also be applicable to your personal information. You should review their applicable privacy policies and methods for changing the privacy or sharing settings on such services.
- If you have given permission to a third party for us to share your data with them. For example, if you participate as a panelist in a survey with an analytics company. You may, as part of your agreement with that company, have authorized that company to receive data from us about you.
Sharing of Personally Identifiable Information: We do not share personally identifiable information with third parties other than as described in this policy. However, we may share your information, including personally identifiable information, in order to (i) protect or defend the legal rights or property of Pandora, or the legal rights of our business partners, employees, agents, and contractors (including enforcement of our agreements); (ii) protect the safety and security of Pandora users or members of the public including acting in urgent circumstances; (iii) protect against fraud or risk management purposes; or (iv) comply with the law or legal process. Additionally, we may share your data, including any personally identifiable information, with our successor in interest in the event of a corporate reorganization, merger, or sale of all or substantially all of our assets.
Sharing of Device Data: Pandora may share information from devices you use to access the Service with its third party vendors or service providers, manufacturing or distribution partners, or its advertising partners. We share this information for a variety of purposes including mobile listening capping, advertising frequency capping, tracking advertising conversion events, estimating the number of unique users, security and fraud detection, debugging problems with the Pandora Service, and for providing you with more relevant advertisements.
Sharing of Anonymized, Non-Personally Identifiable or Aggregated Data: Pandora may share non-personally identifiable information we receive or collect from you with third parties. Such anonymous, non-personally identifiable or aggregated data may include general demographic or location information (derived from zip code or IP address), information about the computer or device from which you access the Service, or information about the stations, tracks, and artists you listen to, thumb-up, thumb-down, or bookmark. Additionally, we may de-identify personally identifiable information, such as listening data and share it in a de-identified or aggregated form with third parties, advertisers, and/or business partners in order to analyze Service usage, improve the Pandora Service and your listener experience, or for other similar purposes. The use and disclosure of such information is not subject to any restrictions under this policy.
Information You Disclose in a Public Profile or in Public Forums: The Pandora Service offers publicly accessible and available profile pages, community forums (such as artist, song, or advertiser pages), blogs, and pages on social media platforms. You should be aware that any information you provide or post in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. If your profile is public, any information you place in your user profile, including biographical information, the people you are following, and the people whom you allow to follow you, may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our public forums, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. To find out more about how to make your profile private, please see the section below on Pandora Profile Visibility.
Advertising Settings and Do Not Track
Opting Out of Behavioral Advertising on the Web: In our effort to provide you with advertisements that may interest you, Pandora and its third party advertising partners use data we collect or receive in the ways we disclose in this policy to provide you with relevant ads. To learn about how the online advertising industry uses information it collects to provide you with relevant ads, and to control whether you want to receive those relevant ads from third party advertisers, please review the information at the following links:
Opting Out of Behavioral Advertising on Mobile and Tablet Devices: If you are using an iOS device and you do not want to receive tailored in-application advertisements that relate to your interests, you may opt-out by accessing the iAd Network Advertising Settings page in a browser on your iOS-based device. If you are using an iOS 7 or later device, you also may limit the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements by performing the following steps: Open Settings and tap "Privacy", Scroll to the bottom of Privacy and tap "Advertising"; Flip "Limit Ad Tracking" to ON.
If you are using an Android-based device and you do not wish to receive tailored in-application advertisements, you can visit Google's Ads Settings page from a browser on your Android-based device and make your choices there. Pandora does not control how the applicable platform operator allows you to control receiving tailored in-application ads; thus, you should contact the platform operator if the above options are no longer available.
Managing Your Information
To Modify Your Registration Data and Personal Information: We provide you with the ability to modify your Registration Data, which you may do so at any time through the Settings section of our Service. For detailed instructions on how to modify your Registration Data or to otherwise access your personal information, visit our support site at http://help.pandora.com. We generally respond to email requests within 24 hours of receiving a request, but it may take up to 30 days depending on the volume of requests we receive.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Your Email Preferences: When you register for the Service, you may elect to receive promotional, marketing, or other similar emails tailored to your interests. You have the option to change this election in the Settings section of our Service. For information on how to opt in or out of receiving promotional, marketing, or other similar emails from us, visit http://help.pandora.com.
Additionally, you may also follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in the promotional, marketing, or other similar emails you receive.
We will send you transaction confirmation emails and other strictly Service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if our Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email. Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Deactivation of Accounts: If you would like to request the deactivation of your account, or to request the deactivation of an unauthorized profile you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pandora Profile Visibility: When you register for the Pandora Service, your profile and listening activity will be public. When the visibility of your Pandora profile is set to public, the Service automatically publishes your listening activity to your profile. For example, if you create a new station or thumb up a song, that activity will be posted in your Pandora profile for members of the public to view. We provide you with the ability to change the visibility of your Pandora profile. For detailed instructions on how to adjust your Pandora profile visibility settings, visit http://help.pandora.com.
Please note, changes to the visibility of your Pandora profile do not have any impact on the advertising you may see if you use the ad-supported version of the Service.
Cached Profiles on Search Engines: Please note that although we may deactivate your account or make your profile private at your request, Internet search engines such as Google and Bing cache publicly available webpages for a period of time beyond the control of Pandora, and may make your deactivated or formerly public profile available to users of their services on their platforms until such time they refresh their webpage cache. Please consult with the applicable search engine to determine how you may remove webpages from their webpage cache.
Security and Content From Other Websites
Protection of Data From Loss: We have implemented commercially reasonable physical and electronic security measures, in addition to personnel training programs to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information we collect or receive from you. For example, when you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). However, despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. If you have any questions about security on our Service, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Links to Other Web Sites: Our Service and certain advertisements on our Service include links to other websites whose privacy practices may differ from those of Pandora. If you submit personal information to any of those websites, the privacy statements of those websites govern their use of your information. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy statement of any website you visit.
Use of Framing Techniques: Some of our third party partners may utilize framing techniques to serve content to and from webpages accessible through our Service while preserving the look and feel of our website. Please be aware that if a partner utilizes framing techniques that you are providing your personal information to these third party partners and not to Pandora.
Our Policies Concerning Children
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we disclosed their personal information (if any) for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year and the categories of personal information disclosed to those third parties. If you are a California resident and you wish to make such a request or have any questions about Pandora's information sharing practices, you may contact us by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at Attn: Listener Support, Pandora Media, Inc., 2101 Webster Street, Suite 1650, Oakland, CA 94612 USA.
Listeners in New Zealand, Australia, and their Respective Territories
We will continue to evaluate this policy against new technologies, business practices, and our listeners' needs, and may make changes to the policy accordingly. Please check this page periodically for updates. If we make any material changes to this policy, we will post the updated terms of the policy here and notify you by email through a message sent to the email address you use to access the Pandora Service.
TRUSTe Privacy Seal
Pandora has received TRUSTe's Privacy Seal signifying that this privacy statement and our practices have been reviewed for compliance with the TRUSTe program viewable on the validation page available by clicking the TRUSTe seal. The TRUSTe certification covers only information collected through the website: www.pandora.com and the Pandora mobile application and does not cover the collection of information collected through other downloadable software, automobiles, and other consumer electronic devices. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact TRUSTe at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.