You have significant control over the information that is shared with other Pandora users and the public through the privacy settings for your profile:
- We do not sell or give your email address to other companies for their marketing purposes without your permission.
- Information that you post in our community and through our social networking features is available to members of the public.
- We collect information about the tracks played on Pandora to make sure artists and copyright owners get paid. We must report listening information to copyright licensing agencies. These reports contain aggregated data only, and do not identify individual listeners.
- We collect information about the stations, tracks and artists you listen to, thumb-up, thumb-down or bookmark, and the information you provide about yourself, to personalize your Pandora experience through suggestions of music, artists and other content you may enjoy, as well as advertisements and social networking features. This information is publicly available, unless your profile is marked private.
- Anyone can search for, and listen to, stations that you create on Pandora. If your profile is private, then other people can find one of your stations in a search, but your profile will not be linked to that station; however, if someone enters your entire email address into our search system, they will be able to see a list of all the stations created under that email address.
PANDORA MEDIA, INC.
(EFFECTIVE AS OF January 30, 2012)
The types of information we collect
There are several areas where you can submit information to us, and some features that automatically collect information from the listeners of our Service and visitors to our website.
Information you give us:
To enable you to enjoy certain features of our Service, we collect certain types of information, including personally identifiable information, during your interactions with our Service. For example, we collect information when you:
- Register to use our Service;
- Enter information in your Profile, including the people you are following and the people whom you allow to follow you;
- Post comments on other Pandora listeners' pages, use community and social networking features that are part of our Service, or send us email;
- Participate in polls, contests, or other features of the Service, or respond to offers or advertisements on the Service; and
- Sign up to receive email newsletters.
When you register, we ask you to provide certain information, which includes (but may not be limited to) your email address, birth year, gender, and zip code, as well as a password for your listener account. If you choose to subscribe to fee-based portions of the Service, you will also be asked to provide (at a minimum) your name and credit card information.
Information we receive from third parties
We may receive information about you from third parties and store it in our databases with other information (including personally identifiable information) that you provide to us. Some examples of these third parties are listed below:
- Service partners and advertisers that make features available through the Service;
- Service partners through whom we allow registered listeners to access the Service;
- Marketing companies that create professional marketing lists or sell other marketing data;
- Other websites or applications that you have registered to use, or that people you know have registered to use, when we allow those websites or applications to interact through the Service to provide personalized services to you. In some cases, those websites or applications may automatically provide us with information about you to facilitate personalization unless you use the controls available on those websites or applications to opt-out of such sharing.
Information that we receive from other listeners
We may collect information about you from people who have stored information about you when they elect to use our social networking or community features, or when they enable connectivity with another website or application where they have stored such information. For instance, your friends may have stored information about you in places such as their friend lists, address books, or photos on our website and other sites with which the Service interacts.
We also collect your email address when people you know share a station with you, but we will not add your name to any of our mailing lists as a result of this feature.
Automatic Data Collection
Listening Activity: Pandora keeps track of your listening activity. Pandora uses software that is designed to ensure that artists and copyright owners receive applicable royalties for the tracks you hear. This software identifies and counts the tracks you have accessed. Pandora also collects information about stations, artists and tracks you have listened to or in which you have expressed an interest for advertising and social networking features.
Service partners: When you access the Service through a service partner, we may add select aspects of your registration information (such as your email address), so that we can identify which of our service partners or other sign-in pages to send to you when you log on to the Service.
Information about your computer or device: We may also collect information about the computer, mobile or other devices you use to access and listen to the Service. For example, our servers receive and record information about your computer and browser, including potentially your IP address, browser type, and other software or hardware information. If you access the Service from a mobile or other device, we may collect a unique device identifier assigned to that device or other transactional information for that device.
Advertisers, and the third-party advertising companies with whom we or our advertisers partner to deliver ads to you, may place or recognize a unique cookie or similar technology on your browser in order to collect non-personally identifiable information about your visits to the Service. If you would like more information about this practice and how to control how this information is used by these companies, please follow the links below.
- About Our Ads
How we use the information we collect:
We use the information that we collect for the following purposes:
- To customize and personalize the advertising and the content you see.
- To enhance the listener experience in our network of websites. We use tracking information to determine how well each page and station performs overall based on aggregate listener demographics and traffic patterns to those pages and stations. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
- To fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as sending out electronic newsletters and enabling you to participate in and renew paid services, polls, contests, and message boards.
- To send you information that you agreed to receive about topics that we think will be of interest to you.
- To alert you to the latest developments and features on our Service.
- To pay artists and copyright owners for tracks you hear, by reporting listening information to copyright licensing agencies. These reports contain aggregated data only, and do not include your personally identifiable information.
How the information we collect is shared:
We may make your personally identifiable information available to other companies, websites, applications or people. For example we may share:
- Information you choose to provide in the course of your use of the Service by participating in community and social networking features such as forums, station sharing, listener opinions and reviews, or other forms of public communication and interaction.
- Information you allow us to share when you register with us, or through a subsequent affirmative election.
- Information used when we hire or partner with third parties to provide specialized services on our behalf, such as credit card processing, sweepstakes management and prize fulfillment, data processing, customer/support services and other products or services that we choose to make available to our registered listeners.
- Information about the artists, tracks, and stations you have created or listened to via the Service. If your profile is private, then other people can find one of your stations in a search, but your profile will not be linked to that station; however, if someone enters your entire email address into our search system, they will be able to see a list of all the stations created under that email address.
- Your registration data, when we jointly offer certain features or services with third parties, such as service partners that make features available through the Service, business partners through whom we allow registered listeners to access Service, advertisers, or marketing companies. When you use these features or services, you grant us permission to pass your registration information back to that service partner. Such third parties may have different data collection, use and sharing practices than us, and you should review their applicable privacy policies.
- We may share your information with a third party when we jointly offer a service or a feature with that third party, such as connectivity with other websites or applications, to provide personalization to the Service.
- If you unsubscribe for a mailing that we send to you on behalf of a third party, we may share your removal instructions with the third party so that your email address may be added to that company's list of people to whom they will not send emails directly.
- We may share your information in connection with a merger between Pandora and another entity, or in the event of a transfer of all or some of our assets to another company.
- We may share your information in order to (i) protect or defend the legal rights or property of Pandora, our business partners, employees, agents and contractors (including enforcement of our agreements); (ii) protect the safety and security of Pandora users or members of the public including acting in urgent circumstances; (iii) protect against fraud or risk management purposes; or (iv) comply with the law or legal process.
How your information may be shared with other listeners and the public:
Unless you make your Profile private, it is visible to other listeners and to the public. You may post favorite tracks, bookmarks, stations or other biographical information on your Profile Page. When you are making the decision to be public or private, please keep in mind that as a result of our partnerships, including, Facebook's Instant Personalization, some of the people who may be looking at your profile or your activities on the Service may be your Pandora friends, or your friends on other social networks, including Facebook. In addition, such friends may share information about you with other third parties, including their friends on other social networks.
How we protect your information
We have implemented commercially reasonable physical and electronic security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your personally identifiable information. Despite our efforts, however, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
Consent to processing
What are my privacy options and how can I change my settings?
To modify your registration information: Click on your email address in the upper right-hand corner of the page and select Settings. On that page, you can change all your registration information (including your email address and password). Make sure to hit Save changes when you're done.
To change the privacy settings on your Profile Page: : Sign in to your account, click your email address in the top right corner, select Settings, and then Privacy. Uncheck "Make my listening activity public" and this will restrict anyone else from seeing your profile.
To change your email preferences and opt-out of newsletters, promotional or marketing correspondence: If you'd like to stop receiving marketing emails from Pandora, sign in to your account, click your email address in the top right corner and select Settings. Select Notices and uncheck Send me personalized recommendations and tips.
For more detailed information on how to adjust your privacy settings and email preferences, visit: http://help.pandora.com
Your California privacy rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we disclosed their personal information (if any) for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year and the categories of personal information disclosed to those third parties. If you wish to make such a request or have any questions about Pandora's information sharing practices, you may contact us by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Pandora Media, Inc., 2101 Webster Street, Suite 1650 Oakland, CA 94612, Attn: Listener Support.